Friday, September 30, 2011

Digital Vs Printed Books

     In Hannah's pamphlet, she talks about certian expiereces while reading a book.  One point that she brings up that I am able to relate to easily is being surrounded by books in a bookstore or library and being so excited to know that there are hundreds of stories and some that may strongly impact you.  When receiving a book in the mail, like Hannah, the feeling of opening it up, reading the back, and starting it is one that a digital print cannot bring.
     In Dustin's pamphlet, he talks about the easiness of downloading a book, how it will save thousands of trees, it will be cheaper than a huge expensive textbook simply needed for just one class, and how many people already own electronic devices.  His pamphlet truly persuaded me, not fully switching my opinion, but to accept his idea and highly consider it.
      Although I personally believe that books should remain to be sold in print rather than online/downloaded, I think that the digital essay persuaded me more.  I like how Dustin talked about how costly books can be and how they may only be read once or twice, because I find that particularly relevant to me unless it is a book that I really enjoy.  Both bring up strong points--Hannah on how many people cannot afford such technology and Dustin on how eco-friendly and convenient digital books would be.  Even though I am a fan of printed books, Dustin did open my eyes to the opposite opinion.  Sure, I do enjoy the convenience and simplicity of digital/downloaded books, but there is something about holding a book in your hand that cannot be expressed through an image. Not to say that I don't read books on my phone, but being able to flip through the pages of a book once you have finished and see all of the pages/words you have read is very gratifying.

Cuddles,
Cleo

2 comments:

  1. Dustin's pamphlet is well-argued, but his argument rests on the enviro-friendly qualities of digital publishing. And I remain unconvinced that this is true. Are we so very certain digital readers are great for the environment though? Books are at the very least biodegradable, and composed of a renewable resource. With the constant tech upgrades which rule the present age, and likely will continue into the future what is going to happen to all the outmoded kindles, Ipads and android tablets? Although the Ipad may be marketed as recyclable in practice they will go straight to landfill I should think. And what of the rare earth metals needed to manufacture smart electronics? There is not an inexhaustible supply of these materials. It is possible print is greener than we've been told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about how un-eco friendly technology can be. I've never been quite sure as to where old computers, phones, calculators, iPhones, iPads, were sent to after they are gone or have been replaced by something new. Yes, books are recyclable opposed to where the pieces of metal go, which for the most part are non recyclable, and can't even be thrown out in a trash can. At least books can be recycled, reused, composted, etc to start a new generation of books/other paper goods, but I highly doubt that an iPad could easily (and cheaply) reproduce a newer iPad.

    ReplyDelete