Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ben Franklin

Dear Benjamin Franklin,
I really found that "Remarks Concerning the Savages of North America", was an interesting piece that I found lots of aspects that I agree with.  For example, I find it essential that people are able to understand that everyone has different opinions and idea on certain matters, and not to think less if someone's opinion does not match up with yours.  You write, "But you, who are wise, must know that different nations have different conceptions of things; and you will therefore not take it amiss, if our ideas of this kind of education happen not to be the same with yours."  I also personally enjoyed when you touched upon politeness, hospitality, and even common manners.  You write that many people do not have the politeness that the "savages" had, and although you wrote this in a different time period than I am reading this, I find it very relevant today.  I observe that some people are still filled with arrogance, ignorance, and their own self absorbance to even consider the manner in which they are acting.  You say, "It is mere civility".  To add to your point on ignorance, I like how you later write about the moral "do unto others as you wish to be done by" regarding curiosity.  All in all, I thought this was an excellent piece of writing that should be commonly read by all people, in the present as well as the future, because you provide good lessons to draw from.
Your second cousin,
Cleo

No comments:

Post a Comment